Rob, Yours and Kim's Model B Thread Would be Welcome Here

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
cudaman

Rob, Yours and Kim's Model B Thread Would be Welcome Here

Post by cudaman »

Rob, it appears that yours and Kim's Model B thread got removed from the MTFCA forum for being off topic, it's a shame it wasn't just moved to the OT section.

If it isn't too much trouble, I for one would love to see it on this forum.

It may just be me, but the similarities between the Model B and the Model T are striking. The technology was moving so fast that the Model T, despite having a slightly longer wheelbase than the Model B, was 500 pounds lighter, no doubt due to the use of Vanadium steel, the unit cast engine block with removable cylinder head, and the transverse springs front and rear.

cudaman

Re: Rob, Yours and Kim's Model B Thread Would be Welcome Here

Post by cudaman »

Oops, my bad, I see that it has either been restored or was never gone and I just couldn't find it before.

In any case, it would sure be good to see such material in this forum. :)

OLDTGUY

Post by OLDTGUY »

I,ll second that, definitely miss Rob's threads.
John Jonas
Riverside NJ

ddunlavy
Site Admin

Post by ddunlavy »

Thank you cudaman,
I try to remain quiet about Early Ford stuff being posted on the MTFCA forum and not here.
It is because there are hundreds of readers there, so it is an exposure builder.
Meanwhile, only a few regular EFR's check here daily.
I have tried about everything I know to do to build postings.
If the trend continues, I will believe there is only an ego trip reason not to post here.
440 topics in several years is abysmal.
It has almost become not worth my time to watch over it.
Now, I predict nothing will change but it would be nice if I was dead wrong.
Dave

W_Higgins

Post by W_Higgins »

There are a number of reasons that forums don't take off. It's all competitive just like any other business. Now the newcomer, Facebook, is dragging people away from the old established forums. MTFCA is a bit unique in that regard because they have so many that are anti-Facebook, but there is no denying that FB has been exceedingly popular. People like FB because it's less hoops to jump through and, because there is a group for virtually every interest (and old car people tend to have lots of interests) it is one login. That sounds trivial, but visiting a lot of different sites everyday is a hassle. The negative to FB is that they don't have a searchable archive.

Also, it is the visibility. There's no doubt about that. Long archival or technical posts take as much time and effort to post here where a dozen people might see it as they do where hundreds of people will see it. People post to share information and people post to be seen. The best place to do that is the place with the most people.

I've had posts on other sites, involved technical posts, that are gone now because the forum got wiped and it wasn't backed up. All that effort is gone. When that happens, inspiration goes down. Didn't that happen here some years back? I offer all of this as a former phpBB owner myself. Aligned with my other interests in an obscure car with no home I had many people say they wished they had a forum, so I built one. Hours and hours of work, lots of people signed up, I added lots of content all on my own, and interest never did any more than fizzle. They all continued to frequent the sites with heavy traffic. What I should have done was petitioned one of those more desirable sites to create a sub-forum for that group and it probably would have been successful. Just like opening a restaurant that seems like a blockbuster idea but then it doesn't take off -- live and learn.

With this group's association with MTFCA, you ought to work with them to offer a sub-forum for the EFR. Like it or not, all the people you want adding content are there anyway and it's pretty apparent they aren't going to come over here. If the goal is to generate interest and promote the EFR the way to do it is to get it in front of more (new) people. It's hard to see how it would be anything other than a positive move for the EFR and it would take some of the load off of you.

cudaman

Post by cudaman »

Dave, I have to reluctantly agree with Mr. Higgins. It might be less work and frustration for you if the EFR forum was a subset of the MTFCA forum. When threads on early Fords show up in the MTFCA main forum, you or the moderators could then move them into the Early Ford subset so that they would be saved and located all in one place.

I'll support whichever way you decide to go. :)

Jason Kuczynski

Post by Jason Kuczynski »

Dave,

That is precisely (and unknowningly) why I posted my N/R/S race car post here first.

I wanted to see if anyone chimed in here before I went to the 'other' forum.

Fingers crossed to keep this one going- but if not, I fully understand.

jk
Member/Docent- Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
Member- The Henry Ford
Member- Early Ford Registry #347

Barnstormers VSC- "Celeritate est Vita!"