What are you doing with your old car?

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
ddunlavy
Site Admin

What are you doing with your old car?

Post by ddunlavy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Well, it's pretty quiet on this Users Forum.

I would encourage all members to find something to say.

It is certainly fine for those members who joined to get quadricycle plans to post here.
Just register, (instructions are on the main web page under General Information), and ask your questions or tell us what your project is. I know we've registered a couple of folks building models of the quad - engine and/or complete scale models. Sure would like to hear from them.

What are you refurbishing or building or collecting parts for or liquidating your collection.

I've noticed it's a buyer's market. There were 3500 cars at Mecum Kissimmee including 330 Corvettes. Those cars not in the early or late years sold for $6,000 to $10,000. I' know some folks didn't come out very well there.

I wanted to sell my 1950 MG-TD. A very nice frame-off. Over $30k in it. Looked at the market. Noticed most selling for $10K to $15K. Priced mine right - one call from a tire kicker. Woke up one morning and decided rather than Lower my price, I rather give it away. So I did. My 14 year old (driving) and 12 year old now have a daXX fine sports car.

Also haven't has one call on the 1914 Ford Model T Depot Hack - Not sure any one reads the want ads. I figured someone would call and offer $7,500 for it. If I gave it to the MTFCA Museum, at least I'd get a write off (but you need to make some taxable money before you need a write-off).

So, com'on and chew me out for stating facts. Let's hear from you.
Dave

cudaman

Re: What are you doing with your old car?

Post by cudaman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 pm

I wish I had the money and room for another antique car, but I don't. I would be interested in selling my matching numbers, fully restored 1971 Plymouth GTX to make room for another antique car, but as you said the market is very soft. I'm not to the point of being ready to give it away, and as far as I can tell, none of my nieces or nephews are interested in old cars.

At some point I may take it one of the better auction venues and put it up with a minimal reserve just to see what it will bring. :(

REHelgeson

Post by REHelgeson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any want adds or classifieds on this forum.

ddunlavy
Site Admin

Post by ddunlavy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:10 pm

We don't have a special spot for ads. If we had so many it was a pain to seperate them from the other postings, we'd create a separate forum. Glad you asked.
Dave

Ned Protexter

Post by Ned Protexter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:27 pm

I feel bad for the guys who bought MOPAR muscle cars in the mid 2000's. I don't think prices will ever hit that high again. Its not just old cars that are struggling. Country clubs, our sailing club on Lake Okoboji, wood boats - at least the old triple cockpits and launches are all having a hard time and now bringing in the money they once were.

I'm very carful as to how much I pay for old cars. I think they will always be around, its just how many people will be interested and how much demand will be there for these really old cars. I live in Denver and the car scene is huge out here, its just not the cars that we as the Early Ford group or HCCA groups would think would be collectable. Look at some of the charts on what Toyota Supras, 5.0 Mustangs, Early M series BMW's, and the like are doing. Vertical positive line on the graph.

Here is something I wrote for a wood boat blog. I think a lot of the ideas can cross over to old cars. So many clubs go after 25 year olds and younger and I believe they should be going after an older crowd.
https://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2019/0 ... rspective/

ddunlavy
Site Admin

Post by ddunlavy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Great to hear from you, Ned. I read your very well written article about boaters. I've noticed one thing about being in the hobby with your dad. The kids I see wanting to be in their dad's hobby start at 2-3 years old and are exposed to it - all the time - every year. It's not forced on them but they just grow up with it. It's that way with racing, swap meets (that's where I met you in grade school as I remember), car tours, car shows, hunting (my grand rugrats now 13 boy & 14+ year old girl, have hunted with their dad for about 10 years - they love it), sports etc. I think the success in inheriting love for a hobby is to start as young as possible. I'm not arguing with you but saying to be successful, the participation has got to start near birth.

It is wonderful to see your success with college, work, now marriage and the hobbies.

Last comment, The 14+ year old girl will probably take her driving permit in the MG-TD I just passed to them. If she takes her test in the TD, fine, if not that's OK also.

Good Luck to you, buddy.
Dave