Pin Stripe on Model N

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
bobster1

Pin Stripe on Model N

Post by bobster1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Does anyone out there know if there was any original pin stripe on a Model N trunk lid? I've figured out all of the other pin striping from original cars except for the deck lid. Also any comments on the hood stripe, I have two versions from original pictures. Comments are appreciated as the body will be pin striped this Wednesday!

rskingley

Re: Pin Stripe on Model N

Post by rskingley » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 pm

I wonder about pinstriping , from Piquette. I don't have the answers but I would think most would be done after it left the factory. I know in one of the NRS parts manual Henry suggests cleaning and painting your car every year. He said the agents should be able to paint the complete car for $35. He also apologizes for not being able to spend more time on the finish as it was hard to keep up with the demand for deliveries. I guess checking for pinstriping in factory photos would be definitive... Robert

bobster1

Post by bobster1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

Robert, There's a nice article in a past EFR newsletter that describes the pin stripe on an original chassis in detail. There's also an Model S at the Piquette plant that still has some of the original stripping on the body. I used both of these as a guide to pin stripe my car as accurately as possible.I do believe you are correct in stating the cars weren't pin stripped until they were complete (maybe the wheels were done before they were installed on the car?).The only thing in question is the correct placement of the hood stripe and for this I'm going by a few pictures I've located, however all three are slightly different so I'm going to choose the one I think looks best to me! In general, pin stripping in the era was done as an sign of quality and not a bold or bright heavy line, but very slight. For this reason, it's very difficult to see the stripe in most old photos. Unfortunately, most stripping is applied much to bold today.

rskingley

Post by rskingley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 pm

I will be at Piquette a few times in the weeks ahead for some of the events that are on schedule, and check out the pinstriping a little closer. What year and issue on the pinstriping article? ...Robert

bobster1

Post by bobster1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm

The Newsletter was Summer 2005, Volume 3 number 2, page 8 & a big thanks to Glen Rand!

rskingley

Post by rskingley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the information on the pinstriping ……I recently bought an exhaust pipe and packing nuts from Glen Rand, they fit perfect and I liked the fact the nut was duplicated to correct size... 1 15/16 inch.