F water plumbing

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
Tmorsher

F water plumbing

Post by Tmorsher »

Is there info on re-plumbing the model F anywhere? If not , can some one show a diagram of the new method that is supposed to help cooling issues. From memory, I believe someone came up with a new method different than they were born with, that is an improvement. Thanks!

cudaman

Re: F water plumbing

Post by cudaman »

There is a diagram of the stock Model F water flow system on page 09-22 of "Pate's Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia". It implies that cool water passes from the bottom of the radiator to a "T" which is supposed to split the flow between the two cylincers. Carl's observation is that most of the flow follows the straight path of least resistance and less flow makes the turn of the "T", reducing the cooling flow to the cylinder supplied by the "T".

There is a photo of the piping of Model F engine #3164 on page 09-24 of Carl's book.

Perhaps replacing the "T" fitting with a "Y" would more evenly split the cooling flow between the two cylinders. I have no personal experience with such a mod. :)

cudaman

Post by cudaman »

Another, less externally obvious way to force more even distribution of cooling flow would be to install an orifice in the line supplying coolant to the rear cylinder (after the "T"). You would want to fabricate various sizes of orifices and make them easily changeable so that you could experiment until you get even flow. A good way to confirm even cooling would be to sample the temperature of each cylinder with an infra-red thermometer. :)

Tmorsher

Post by Tmorsher »

Thanks for that, but I know what the original plumbing is. That book isn’t any help. This has just been figured out in the last couple of years as a big improvement ,but I forget who did it. I’ll keep asking.

p.schaefer

Post by p.schaefer »

Tim, I have a F that has been replumbed and have had no cooling issues. You are welcome to come and take a look at it. Not that far away from you. Paul

Tmorsher

Post by Tmorsher »

Thanks Paul, I’ll swing by. I’ll email or call before I do. Many thanks! I think there are more F models in Ohio than anywhere else in the world. T

Tmorsher

F water plumbing

Post by Tmorsher »

I believe this is the answer. Feedback always welcome.
C0F620E3-FD5A-4503-ABF3-C7BB01E0EC27.jpeg

Tmorsher

NOTE F water plumbing

Post by Tmorsher »

I should note, this plumbing schematic needs to have the impeller changed.