Wheel braking

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
bvansloun

Wheel braking

Post by bvansloun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

I switched to lined Model T brakes on the rear wheels on the Model S.

I MUCH prefer using the wheel brakes over the transmission brake. I just don't like the idea of putting all that stress on the transmission, drive shaft, differential and axles. Especially the transmission, they're darn expensive to rebuild.

The problem comes when it is time to adjust the brakes. There is an adjustment on the brake rod, but you want that set to give you maximum leverage on the brake arm, it's not for taking up wear in the shoes.

As this was never designed for lined brakes, no provision was ever made for any adjustment. After a couple of thousand miles, the brake pedal gets closer to the floorboard.

What I came up with is to make a sleave to slide over the brake came. The first one was .043". That lasted a couple thousand miles, I just had to go to a .090 one. It is pretty basic, a strip of sheet metal wrapped around the cam which pushes the shoes apart a bit more. The trick is to make sure that it is retained and doesn't contact the brake drum.

So now I am back to good brake action.

Just my approach.