1904 Model C lubrication system

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
DBoland

1904 Model C lubrication system

Post by DBoland » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get my Late Father's Ford Model C ready for the London to Brighton rally after many years of being in storage but we are having difficulty understanding the lubrication system. When the engine is running it throws a huge amount of oil out through the breather opening on the head. Its so bad we fitted a pipe and attachment to the breather that leads to an oil can to collect the oil rather than leave blow out onto the underside of the seat. Would anyone be willing to explain how it should work and what we are doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am not the most technical and have a mechanic helping me but we both lack knowledge!!

Diarmaid Boland

ddunlavy
Site Admin

Re: 1904 Model C lubrication system

Post by ddunlavy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Hopefully someone who knows the complete story will jump in.
I think the Model C is like the model A, AC & F, and has a crankcase pressure oil system.
Crankcase pressure is supposed to go through a check valve to canister holding oil. It is then metered to several pipes going to the pistons, rods and crank bearings. Detailed pictures of my Model F oiler are on my Model F web pictures -
http://dunlavy.us/modelf/fengine2006.html - pictures 54 thru 66 - picture numbers are displayed at the bottom of large view of them.
Hopefully, you have an oiler - if you are not sure - better not run the engine until you know. Several Model C owners have posted here in the past. I'll watch to see you get an answer soon.
Suggest you contact John Biggs in GB. (JohnWBiggs at aol.com) - he is full of knowledge and partakes of the London Brighton Run.
Will keep watching. Good luck on the London Brighton Run.
Dave

DBoland

Post by DBoland » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Dave,

I should have mentioned the oiler. Yes we have an oiler so at least we won't do any harm!!

That's great I'll email him and ask his opinion it all helps,

Thanks very much,

Diarmaid.

Jack Innes

Post by Jack Innes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I think you will find your crank case breather has a check valve in it. It sounds like the check valve has lost its internals or is jammed open. Running without the check will reduce the action of your oiler & could prove harmful.

I can open mine up & send pictures if needed.

Jack

DBoland

Post by DBoland » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:32 am

Hi Jack,

That would be great to have a picture of how it should be. If you could send a picture of yours that would be a great help.

Thanks very much,

Diarmaid.

Jack Innes

Post by Jack Innes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Here are some pictures of the check valve - I hope. It looks like I need to send more under a new posting.
011.JPG
009.JPG
003.JPG

Jack Innes

Post by Jack Innes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:28 pm

More pictures; The breather is near the attachment of the green, ground wire.
04 ford valve.jpg
04 ford   valve.jpg

DBoland

Post by DBoland » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Jack,

That makes a lot of sense as on our car there was just an open pipe that was throwing oil out all over the engine. We fitted a connection with a pipe leading to an oil can to collect the oil but it's far from ok.

How much oil do you put in the sump?

That's brilliant thanks very much for going to so much trouble it's much appreciated!

We can see now what we need to get it sorted!!

Diarmaid.

Jack Innes

Post by Jack Innes » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello Diarmaid,

I am glad that this is helpful. I do not remember a quantity of oil in the sump but it does not need a lot. I tend to over feed the oiler for safety sake. If the exhaust becomes very smoke laden it is a sign that the sump needs to be drained some. This may not be too scientific nor environmentally friendly but the 113 year old bearings need all the help they can get.

Jack

DBoland

Post by DBoland » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 am

Hi Jack,

That's great we are going to fit a cap with a small openeninh first and see how that gets on first while we try to make a valve similar to yours. I think the over feeding the drops is a great idea and I think back in 1904 they were probably operating to greater variances than we are used to on modern cars.

I'll let you know when we source and fit the valve how we got on.

We are hoping to do the "Teuf Teuf Rally" in Northern France as a warm up for the London to Brighton so hopefully we will have her running properly very soon.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Diarmaid