transmission lubrication of high speed band

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
Greg

transmission lubrication of high speed band

Post by Greg » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:56 pm

How often does one lubricate the high speed clutch disc thru the hole provided and with what weight oil?
Greg Adkisson
Ely, MN.
1906 N Runabout
1915 T Brass Roadster

robheyen

Re: transmission lubrication of high speed band

Post by robheyen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Greg,
I believe most uperators are unaware of the hole in front. I try to use 90 weight gear oil, and have used the same grease I use in the two transmission resiviors. An oil can with a flex spout probably is what I use to get to it. It probably should be done every time the transmission is greased.
Good luck,
Rob

bvansloun

Post by bvansloun » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 am

I use John Deere Multilber 11000 in the transmission. I fill both the drum and the tail about every 150 miles. Given that there is no seal between the drums or at the front, some leakage gets out to lubricate those high speed clutch disks. Thank goodness, because I oil the front plate through that hole only when I remember it. And that's not every time. I use 90 wt in a oil can with a flexible spout. I also use that to oil the timer.

There are a few different ideas about transmission lubrication, but JD 11000 is a common choice.

Given you're not too far away, it would be great to see you in Paynesville and New London!

Greg

Post by Greg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Truth be told...I can not find the hole so I lube it at the fingers where the plate slides and turn it over to let it run down the plate on the inside if that is possible. Any pictures or hand drawings of it exact location? I to use JD11000 for the tranny.
Greg Adkisson
Ely, MN.
1906 N Runabout
1915 T Brass Roadster