NRS band mounting

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
JVanMaanen

NRS band mounting

Post by JVanMaanen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I have noticed that some of the members photos show the NRS bands mounted with the support bracket for the reverse and brake on top of the drum and the low speed under the drum. My SR came with all the supports on top of the drums. What is correct?

Also I am still in need of a set of NRS front spring shackles if anybody has useable ones, before I make a set.

thanks Jim

jerryvan

Re: NRS band mounting

Post by jerryvan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Jim,

The Ford 1906 catalog, (in this website's library), shows the band supports as you've seen in other NRS cars, with the low band support underneath and brake/reverse above. Keep in mind however that that image also shows things incorrectly or that were never done in actual production.

JVanMaanen

Post by JVanMaanen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks Jerry:

It makes sense that the low would be opposite the brake and reverse since it tightens pulling down and the brake and reverse tighten pulling up.

Jim

JVanMaanen

Post by JVanMaanen » Sat May 13, 2017 6:59 pm

One more question on the NRS bands. In the parts catalog it appears that the slow speed band support is different from that of the reverse and brake bands. All the bands that came with my car are identical, but were not installed on the car when I purchased it. The band labeled slow speed will not fit when installed below the drum. I am also missing the reverse and brake pedal brackets that attach the pedals to the transmission frame and the pedals pivot on, not sure which part number this is in the catalog. If anyone has a slow speed band and pedal brackets they would sell or drawings and or specs please let me know. From the catalog and pictures of members cars it appears that the pedal brackets are very similar to the clevis's that tighten the bands ?

thanks Jim

OLDTGUY

Post by OLDTGUY » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Jim,
I can fix you up with a drawing of the pedal mount. I'm not sure if it is the same as the band adjuster. As to the band, looks like if you drill the rivets out of the mounting bracket, reverse and reshape the bracket, it might work. I'll get a drawing off to you.
John Jonas

JVanMaanen

Post by JVanMaanen » Fri May 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks John:

Greg

Post by Greg » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm

I found my brake band to be out of round because it chattered. After re forming it, the mount in question held it too tight to the drum with the band loose at the ends. I had to slot/space the mounting holes in the mount to allow it to flex in and out slightly around the mounting bolts. this allowed the band to form around the drum when the brake was applied and relax when released. The flexible mounting on the band had been repaired, but not in the exact location as original. The reverse and low speed band mounts were original and worked fine.
Greg Adkisson
Ely, MN.
1906 N Runabout
1915 T Brass Roadster