New Member. Some model N questions

You MUST Register with your REAL NAME, LOCATION, and EMAIL ADDRESS. Otherwise, you will be banned and deleted. This help prevent spam.
RJames

New Member. Some model N questions

Post by RJames » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am

Hello, I have read the forums here, and found it very informative. I just acquired a car and am hoping to learn more about it. To start is the engine number of course. It is on a raised boss and is stamped A433, further down the block are cast in numbers of N 402. I am in Canada is it is likely the car could have been built here. The ownership papers show it as 1906. My first question to anyone that may know is, Approximately when was this engine built, and can it be determined if this was a Canadian Built car. I am unable to load photos yet. I will hopefully be able to resize and add some later.

jsummers

Re: New Member. Some model N questions

Post by jsummers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 am

Hello, A433 was sold on 5/9/07. It was sold to "Eastern auto ? Montreoy ? The hand writing is a little hard to read even when magnified. It was sold with 28x3 "D" tires. The D is brand of tire. I will do more research to try to find out who D is. It was tested by R. Bushy.
As a side note, 9 other N's were also sold on 5/9/07 with numbers ranging from A426 - A1497. A432 was sold on 3/27/07 and A434 was sold on 3/30/07. As you can see the order number in which they were shipped was not important.
The 402 is a number (as far as I know) is on all N,R,S and SR. Till after 2/6/07 They did not used a letter before the engine number. It appears the first engine with the letter was produced 3/28/07 with number A406.

RJames

Post by RJames » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 am

Excellent, Thank you. I can assume that this car would be classified as a 1907? You mention that the hand writing is hard to read, might it say Montreal?

jsummers

Post by jsummers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello, It is a 1907 for sure. All of the 06's and early 07's Model N's from Canada have no letter prefix. Yes it is possible that it is Montreal. After Eastern auto it looks like an @ or and, I can't tell.
2 books that might interest you- In the shadow of Detroit by David Roberts, it is about the start up years of Ford of Canada, and of course Pate's early Ford automobile encyclopedia. The latter has the photos of the early production books of Canada.
Welcome to the club
Jim